Can I fly on an airplane with an arrhythmia
Author Ольга Кияница
Arrhythmias are related to disorders of the conduction system of the heart and, by their development, can bring a lot of trouble to patients. In particular, it is by no means always possible to fly an airplane in case of arrhythmia. Much depends on the general condition of a person, and first of all on the severity of the symptoms of rhythm disturbance.
Air travel is difficult to tolerate healthy people, not to mention the sick arrhythmia. To fly on an airplane means to transfer pressure drops, which is why the issue of flying with arrhythmia is considered in each case separately.
Theoretical consideration of the possibility of flight on an airplane will allow you to navigate with the possibility and necessity of such a journey. Before the proposed flight, it is necessary to visit the attending cardiologist, specify the planned plans with him and tune in to the implementation of the recommendations given. Information on the possible danger of air travel will also be useful.
HOW MUCH DO YOU HAVE TO FLY AN AIRCRAFT?
The main contraindications to air travel
American cardiologists have long determined, under what diseases are absolutely contra-indicated flights on airplanes. Such pathologies include the following conditions:
- severe abnormalities of rhythm (arrhythmia);
- the patient has an angina pectoris (unstable angina);
- there is stable arterial hypertension;
- heart failure is not amenable to drug treatment;
- after a myocardial infarction (after not burdened should pass at least 2 weeks, and after a severe - at least 6 months).
Such contraindications are highly undesirable to ignore, since the probability of developing severe, life-threatening conditions is high. If the arrhythmia is poorly expressed or well amenable to drug treatment, then it is sufficient to adhere to general recommendations and properly prepare for the flight so that the planned action is successful.
General advice for cardiac patients
- The drugs prescribed by the doctor should be in the most accessible place.
- During the flight it is undesirable to use anything, especially alcohol, salty and sharp snacks, coffee with caffeine.
- To prevent thirst, it is better to use pure still water.
- You need to have a photocopy of the last electrocardiogram.
- If an artificial pacemaker is built in, then you need to have a document confirming the installation.
- Long-term flights (more than 8 hours or 5 thousand kilometers) should take place with the participation of special compression knitwear, which is worn below the knees. The pressure of such an apparel should be 20-30 mm Hg.
- If you need to have access to additional oxygen, you need to inform the airline representative about it about two days before departure.
Patients with arrhythmias with an implanted pacemaker, in addition to the above tips, the following rules should be remembered:
- Do not stay a long time near the metal detectors.
- Customs officers need to be notified about the presence of an EKS, which should force them to use a manual search method instead of portable magnetic detectors.
Do you think it's dangerous to fly on an airplane?
How to make a flight safe
The main attention is given to medicines. The travel bag should not only be packaged with permanent-use drugs, but also applicable for emergency care. Also on the eve of departure, the procedures prescribed by the doctor should be performed. It can be a means of lowering blood pressure, or aspirin.
In addition, remember the following recommendations:
- When anxiety or anxiety occurs during planting, you need to drink a sedative. It can be corvalol, valerian.
- The tablet of validol should be placed under the tongue before take-off. Such foresight will allow to mitigate the climb by plane, for example, the ejaculation of the ears will not be so pronounced, the blood supply of the heart muscle will also improve.
- Blood in the legs should not stagnate, so with long flights you need to periodically walk around the salon.
In addition, it is worth noting that it is useful to distract yourself from the flight process by available entertainment. It can be music, quiet conversations, reading of magazines.
With diseases of the spine in the form of osteochondrosis, various accompanying diseases occur, but most often, it is a violation of the rhythm, or arrhythmia. In this case, patients are not always understood as the relationship between two different at first sight diseases, so it is worth looking at the information provided.
Sports are an integral part of a healthy part of the population. Regular exercise allows you to strengthen the body, become more resistant, emotionally balanced. But with the appearance of a heart rhythm disorder, the question immediately arises: Is it possible to do sports with arrhythmias of the heart?
Violation of the rhythm can significantly reduce the quality of human life. Especially often this happens when there is unconsciousness in the question as to why an arrhythmia arises. In such cases, the patient hurts himself because of ignoring the risk factors for the development of the disease.