Gymnastics for the treatment of hypertension
Physical activity is known to increase blood pressure, but only for a short time. After the exercise is stopped, the blood pressure should return to a normal state rather quickly. In this case, the faster a person stops, the faster the indicator drops to a normal level.
The American Heart Association recommends that patients with hypertension perform moderate exercises for 150 minutes. per week or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise per week, or a combination of both types of exercises each week.
In any case, you should try to do aerobics every day at least 30 minutes a week. And if it is convenient, the gym can be a great place to promote health. The only thing you need is the intensity of gymnastics for treating hypertension to be coordinated with your doctor.
Video: Hypertension - Overview (causes, pathophysiology, investigations, treatment)
Gymnastics for the treatment of hypertension in the gym
Aerobic exercise is an excellent form of activity for increasing physical fitness and lowering blood pressure. In particular, the use of a treadmill or elliptical trainer is well suited for an exercise site such as a gym. You can start with joining the class for beginners and gradually rise to advanced users when the level of physical fitness is improved.
Yoga and Pilates are two activities that you can safely do in the gym, because they not only increase your overall physical fitness, but also reduce stress.
Whatever physical activity is preferred, you should start slowly. It is important to remember to warm up before exercise, to prevent injuries, and then gradually cool. The increase in the intensity of training should also be carried out gradually.
You should stop training when the following symptoms appear:
- Breath taking.
- Pain in the heart, arm or jaw.
- Irregular heartbeat.
- Excessive fatigue.
It is important to monitor your progress and regularly measure blood pressure at home or at a doctor's office. This will help you quickly navigate to whether the exercise regimen helps reduce the severity of hypertension. Blood pressure is measured before exercise and at least one hour after gymnastics.
Training with weights in the gym
It may seem illogical that weight lifting can improve the condition of a patient with high blood pressure, because blood pressure often rises just during hard training.
It is important to know that training with weights in the gym is not suitable for everyone, as they can cause a sharp increase in blood pressure. However, if a light weight of 4.5 kg or less is used, then the use of a weight training is possible. It is worth remembering:
- You need to learn the proper lifting methods to reduce the risk of injury.
- It is necessary not to hold the breath, because holding the breath during the tension can contribute to a jump in blood pressure.
- It is important to learn to breathe easily and continuously throughout the training.
- It is necessary to raise light scales, since heavier weights create a greater load on the body, causing favorable conditions for increasing blood pressure. It is desirable to raise a lighter weight and at the same time increase the frequency of repetitions.
- It is important to listen to your body. In particular, it is necessary to stop all actions if dizziness starts or takes a breath, or there is pain in the chest or a feeling of tapping in the temples.
In one study [1 - Chobanian AV, Bakris GL, Black HR, Cushman WC, Green LA, Izzo JL Jr, Jones DW, Materson BJ, Oparil S, Wright JT Jr, Roccella EJ; Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and
Treatment of High Blood Pressure. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; National High Blood Pressure Education Program Coordinating Committee. Hypertension. 2003 Dec; 42 (6): 1206-52. Epub 2003 Dec 1] 15 men over 46 years old with high blood pressure participated in a strength training program held 3 times a week with 1 day of rest for 12 weeks.
The following exercises were used in gymnastics:
- Twisting legs.
- Chest Press.
- Shoulder press.
- Twisting the biceps.
- Stretching triceps.
Between the exercises there was rest, which was about 1 minute.
According to the results of the study, an answer was received to the question whether strength training reduces blood pressure in middle-aged men with high blood pressure?
The answer is yes , strength training reduces blood pressure. Both the systolic and diastolic index after 12 weeks of passing the program decreased by an average of 16 and 12 mm Hg. respectively. A reduction to such a level was enough to shift the average value for the group from stage 1 of hypertension (150/93) to the stage of prehypertension (134/81).
If a very high blood pressure is detected, the doctor may want to lower it with medication. Most often, you need to start with them before you start training. In any case, before you start exercising in the gym, you should seek medical attention.
If you are taking regular medication, you need to ask whether the exercises will work differently or whether there is a likelihood of side effects. When taking beta-blockers to control high blood pressure, it may be difficult to achieve the target heart rate (as their task is to reduce it). Even if you can not reach the goal, you can still support the cardiovascular system.
Video: 8 Min Neck Stretches for Neck Pain Relief Exercises
Gymnastics for the neck - treatment of hypertension
The cervical spine plays an important role in the overall well-being of each person. If there are any problems in this part of the body or in nearby muscles, there may be a violation of innervation, including the heart. This often leads to dizziness, headaches and hypertension may even develop. Therefore, if you want to eliminate this disease, you should perform a special gymnastics for the neck, which will help in the treatment of hypertension.
In modern medicine, there are various practices to improve the mobility of the cervical region. In particular, methods according to A. Shishonin, Bubnovsky, etc. are popular. The proposed gymnastics is not difficult to perform, but it is important to do it regularly, at least once a day . This will allow the neck muscles to become more flexible, improve blood supply and innervation. After normalization of blood pressure should perform gymnastics in order to prevent a possible relapse, about twice a week.
Gymnastics for the neck with the purpose of treating hypertension according to Shishonin includes exercises of various intensity, for which it will be enough to perform up to half an hour. At the same time, neither overweight nor old age can serve as a hindrance. The principles for doing the exercises are as follows:
- “Gaze to the sky” . In turn, they turn their heads to one and the other side, while bringing the head to the most uncomfortable position and withstand it for half a minute.
- “Metronome” . Being in a sitting position, you need to tilt your head down and then pull towards one of the joints of the shoulder. Tension can be felt and this is normal, in this position you need to stay for about half a minute. The head returns to its original position and then everything repeats for the other side.
- “Springs” . The head should be tilted down and after about half a minute, pull the neck forward and up. In this position, stand again for half a minute and repeat everything all over again.
- “Frame ” . Like the exercise “Look in the sky”, here you also need to turn your head to the side, but first put one hand on the opposite shoulder with a raised elbow parallel to the floor. Then everything is repeated for the other side.
- "Fakir". The palms are joined above the head, with the fingers pointing up and elbows bent. In such a position, the head turns, as in the exercise “Look in the sky”, to the right, and then to the left.
- "Heron". The head rises, and the hands that were previously on their knees turn back. In the reached position, you need to stay up to half a minute.
- “Airplane” . Hands in the straightened position are turned back, and then one rises, the other goes down and again turns back. Hands are swapped and back up again.
- “Tree” . Straightened arms rise above the head, with the palms arranged horizontally and upwards. In such a position with a straightened back you need to be up to half a minute.
To stretch the muscles of the neck, the following exercises can be used, corresponding to the same method of Shishonin:
1. Get your right hand behind the ear on the opposite side and tilt your head to the right. Stand in this position for up to half a minute and repeat accordingly with the left hand.
2. Arms are folded into the lock and fastened behind the head, which is then tilted forward and held in such a position for up to half a minute.
3. Like the previous exercise, you need to fold the lock and put it behind your head. Further, the head is tilted and simultaneously turned to the right side. Stand up to half a minute and repeat everything with the left side.
All exercises according to the recommendations of Shishonin should be performed five times. We should not hurry, because here not the speed but the quality of the gymnastics performed is important.
Video: Physio Neck Exercises Stretch & Relieve Routine
Isometric gymnastics for the treatment of hypertension
Many people have never heard of isometric exercises, but they can be very effective in lowering blood pressure. In fact, simple statistical exercises can reduce systolic pressure by as much as 10 mm Hg. Art!
Isometric exercises include muscle contraction without active contraction. If, for example, to hold a tennis ball and compress it, an isometric exercise is performed, since the muscles of the arm are contracting, but without any active actions. This is the main difference from such an exercise, for example, as if to take a dumbbell and swing the biceps.
The most studied type of isometric exercise is the isometry on the expander handle. This technique is similar to the example of a tennis ball, only a special device is used.
If the doctor can provide detailed information on how to start and create an isometric exercise program to control blood pressure, then you should take this opportunity. The isometry can be of varying intensity, but it is sufficient to make a training correctly in order to notice positive changes after a while.